How Do You Dispute An Error On Your Credit Card

If you have ever ordered anything using your credit card and you haven't received it but you were billed for it, you have some options. Once you get over your initial anger, calmly follow these steps. Write to the credit card issuer at the address for "billing inquiries," not the address for sending your payments (the address for billing inquiries is often found on the back of your most recent monthly statement); include your name, address, account number and a description of the billing error. Send your letter so that it reaches the credit card issuer within 60 days after the first bill containing the error was mailed to you. Send your letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, so you have proof of what the credit card issuer received.

Include copies (not originals) of sales slips or other documents that support your position. Keep a copy of your dispute letter. It is important to send the letter to the correct company.

In the case of Visa and MasterCard, you should send it to the bank that issued the card. The credit card issuer must acknowledge your complaint in writing within 30 days after receiving it, unless the problem has already been resolved. And the credit card issuer must resolve the dispute within two billing cycles (but not more than 90 days) after receiving your letter.

What happens while your bill is in dispute? You may withhold payment on the disputed amount (and related charges), during the investigation, but you must pay any part of the bill not in question, including any finance charges on the undisputed amount. Hi-light or circle the disputed item(s). The credit card issuer may not take any legal or other action to collect the disputed amount and the related charges (including finance charges) during the investigation.

While your account cannot be closed or restricted, the disputed amount may be applied against your credit limit. You placed an order with a catalog company and they charged your credit card immediately. The catalog company contacts you two weeks later and says the shipment will be delayed 60 days. You agree to the delay.

The 60 days have passed and you don't have the merchandise. Can you still dispute the charge? Maybe. In delayed shipment situations, credit card issuers often are more generous when they calculate the time for allowing disputes. To take advantage of this flexibility, include the following information in your dispute letter. Tell the credit card issuer if the premature charge was unexpected. Some credit card issuers make an exception to the general industry rule against merchants charging before shipping if the merchant tells you about its practice at the time of sale.

If you're certain the merchant said nothing or wasn't clear about its charge practice, the credit card issuer is more likely to allow the dispute. Tell the credit card issuer when delivery was expected. In no delivery situations, some credit card issuers will use the expected date of delivery rather than the charge date as the start time for you to dispute charges. If you dispute the charge within a reasonable time after the expected delivery date passes, chances are good that the credit card issuer will honor the dispute. When you order or when a merchant notifies you of delayed shipment, it's important to keep a record of the promised shipment or delivery date. Include a copy of any documentation of the shipment or delivery date when disputing the charge with your credit card issuer.

What if you used a debit card to pay for the merchandise? The consumer protections for a debit card fall under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA) and may differ from protections for a credit card under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA). So you may not be able to dispute a debit and get a refund for non-delivery or late delivery. Still, some debit card issuers voluntarily offer protections and solutions to problems like the failure to receive merchandise bought with a debit card. Contact your debit card issuer for more information about particular policies and protections. What if you financed your purchase through the merchant? If you financed your purchase through the merchant, you also may have protections under state and federal law. Check your credit contract for the following language: Notice: Any holder of this consumer credit contract is subject to all claims and defenses which the debtor could assert against the seller of goods or services obtained with the proceeds hereof.

It means that you may be able to claim that the seller failed to deliver the goods as stated in your credit contract. Don't just suck it up and take the loss. It may take a little time to resolve your problem, but the law is on your side. Just follow the steps to file your dispute, provide the necessary paperwork, and let the system correct the problem.

Apply online in seconds for a 0% APR credit card - many to choose from at Credit Card Repair
Submitted by: Article Submitter

Business Solutions

Steel Building Structures Vary Widely In Design - Rhino Steel Building Systems, Denton, Texas - When purchasing a pre-engineered steel building, the basic structural design is one of the first aspects to be determined.

Home Selling Guide - Selling home right now can be done by anyone.

Stock Questions You Must Answer - Before you buy a stock, there are three questions that you need to answer.

The Secret of Looking For Commercial Office Space - When you own and supervise your own Business, finding the perfect piece of commercial retail space for rent is necessary.

Tenerife property An Island for All Seasons - Tenerife is one of the most popular exotic travel destinations in the world.

ęCopyright 2024 All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication in part or whole strictly prohibited by international copyright law.